We’re quite partial to the preppy style: it’s timeless, classic, and works for any occasion. We also recognize that not everyone is into the preppy look. Still, even if you’re not into the preppy aesthetic, that doesn’t mean you can’t (or shouldn’t) dress well.
Collegiate men are especially guilty of flouting their sartorial duties. Many of them take advantage of the freedom to walk into class wearing naught but their pajamas. Or something like that, anyway.
Comfort may be king, but that doesn’t mean sloppiness should reign supreme. You’re an adult, so start dressing like one. If adulthood isn’t reason enough for you, there are three big reasons to dress well in your college years.
- Impressing the Ladies: While you may not be looking for a wife, your chances of getting with a girl increase tenfold when you’re well-styled.
- Look Sharp, Be Sharp: Did you know people perform better on science exams while wearing a lab coat? Top notch style means top notch thinking.
- Impress Your Professors: College is a great time to start networking for your career, and some of your professors are bound to have connections. Do you want to be remembered as the slob or as the well-dressed, always prepared student?
I know you’re convinced, so let’s get to the good stuff. Here’s everything you need to know to bring your college style to the next level.
Get Rid of The Hoodie
No, you don’t have to throw it in the garbage. Instead, invest in some refined alternatives for on-campus life.
- Polo Sweaters: Similar to the polo shirt, only long-sleeved. An undershirt is all you need to stay warm with this.
- Cardigan Sweaters: Lightweight and best when paired with a collared shirt, this is an excellent option if you’re attached to your hoodie.
- V-Neck Sweaters: These are versatile pieces; a v-neck sweater can be used in formal and casual affairs.
Exnay on the Sneakers
If you put zero thought into your footwear, it’s time for that to change. The right pair of shoes really pulls an outfit together. Invest in some bucks and chukka boots, both of which ride the line between casual and formal. They’re classic, comfortable, and more importantly, set you apart. And, unlike dress shoes, they pair well with your jeans.
Ditch the Gym Shorts
For the love of all things adult, don’t walk into class wearing sweat pants or gym shorts (if you can help it). Invest in some dark, slim fit, mid-rise jeans. If you want to be more adventurous, purchase some chinos. They come in a variety of colors, fit like a good pair of jeans, and distinguish you in all the right ways.
Women have been onto this secret for a long time: the right accessories transform a good outfit into a great one. Start with something simple, like a watch. A timepiece with a modestly sized face and easy-to-read numbers will really set you apart.
While black or gray socks are usually a safe bet, why be so boring? Get a bright pair of socks in your favorite color. Buy a few pairs with whimsical designs. Aside from being a conversation starter, they pretty much scream “this guy’s unique and knows his shit”.
Just like your degree has the power to open doors, so does your style. Start investing in it today, and it will pay off for years to come.
Be the guy giving the fashion tips rather than asking. Shop Tailor Vintage!